9 Key Networking Tips
With the economy struggling and sales slowing, now is the time to get out of the office and start cultivating future relationships. Networking is more than just small talk; it's the art of relationship building.
The following are nine networking tips, courtesy of the book, "Great Connections: Small Talk And Networking For Businesspeople," by Anne Baber and Lynne Waymon:
1. Tell your talent, not your title.
2. Give first, give generously.
3. Make your name memorable.
4. Linger longer over the name game.
5. Hear and help. Listen to find out what people need, and help them find it.
6. Build trust by telling stories about yourself.
7. Follow up six to eight times to add someone to your network.
8. Think of networking as learning about others and teaching others about yourself.
9. Remember, your next conversation could change your life.
--Ron Ameln, SBM