Monday, November 16, 2009

The Meaning Of Life--And Your Business

What is "The Meaning of Life?" Pretty deep, huh...especially from a former sports reporter. Reading a former sports reporter pondering the meaning of life is like listening to an Enron executive discussing integrity (okay, it's not that bad).
Seriously, what is "The Meaning of Life?"
To me, the meaning of life is affirmation. It is knowing you make a difference in the world. That's what we all want and we all crave. People want to know they matter. If they know what they do makes a difference, they will almost always step up to the plate.
So, where does all this fit into your business. Do your employees know they matter? Make a difference?
I know as a business owner I do a HORRIBLE (yes, capital letters) job of letting people that work for me know how they make a difference. I'm an intense person and I'm usually 100% focused on my daily tasks. I just assume employees know they make a difference. I don't think I'm alone.
In fact, a recent study said 50% of entrepreneurs ranked themselves as poor when it came to employee recognition. Another study stated "Recognition" as the No. 1 motivator, according to employees.
If you want to be a better entrepreneur and have more productive employees, start praising employees.
--Ron Ameln, SBM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home